Thursday, April 14, 2011

Our history as we know it - Where We Are Today

Now the down side is that we have been stuck at this level, with a couple of areas still in high pain.  So after her second visit to Dr G he added physical therapy to help with the PFD, and then after her third visit he added valium vaginal inserts. 

My wife has high levels of pain in her clitoris area, and moderate pain (4ish) on the upper right and left sides of her labia.  The key area of change is the lower left around to lower right now have mostly no pain, which were areas of 8-10 before.  So some really good progress, I should also mention there have been maybe 3 times of sex in the last 6 months that were zero pain.  Huge win!!!  But the areas in pain currently have not changed, so we have hit a plateau.

At the last visit she had with Dr G they discussed that her highest levels of pain seem to be around her period time.  So he suggested looking into (I don’t know the name) but they basically just blast the uterus with a laser and burn up the tissue so she wouldn’t have a period any more (also no more kids).  So she was to look for a local doc that can do that procedure.

So this week she then met with two local docs, her normal ob/gyn who delivered our second baby and a UofM pelvic pain doc.  Her ob/gyn  said that she thinks the surgery is rather extreme and that she should just consider going on a high dosage estrogen only birth control pill which would give her the extra estrogen she needs and stop her period.  She would also like her to continue the estradiol cream with it.  If that doesn’t work then consider the surgery.  Nice doc, my wife really likes her.

Then the UofM doc, bedside manner left much to be desired.  Very combative right from the start.  She basically said surgery seemed extreme, she liked the idea of the birth control pills, she would also like to switch from the antidepressant to an anti-seizure pill that has shown good results.  She would also like to stop the Estradiol cream and replace with just an estrogen cream, she doesn’t like the testosterone in it.  She then got on her soapbox, which really pissed me off, she told my wife she really needed to go to counseling (something her clinic also has) for this as she will never get better and she needs to learn to deal with the fact that she will have this pain for the rest of her life.

So our next step is to circle back with Dr G and get his feedback on the estrogen BC pill vs the surgery, the antidepressant vs the anti-seizure meds, and if he has any other ideas to reduce the pain in her clitoris and upper left and upper right labia.

So there it is, just a little shorter than the history of the world.  But it brings us up to date with what is currently happening with us.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so glad that you are doing this blog. We often think about how this is affecting us, but it affects the men in our lives as well and I really admire you for being open enough to express what these V issues do to you, the man. I know in your first posts you were trying to just get the information out there about what you've been dealing with, but I hope to read more about how this situation makes you feel as well and how this affects you emotionally.

I'm at work right now so I can't access my own blog to link you up, but I will when I get home.

Husband said...

Thanks for your quick response and for being the first person that has commented on my blog. I will definitely be commenting on how these issues make me feel and the impacts on the male in the relationship, as well as the relationship dynamics in general.

I’ll have to think a bit on where to start, on a 10+ year journey there has been quite the range of emotions and many things that have greatly impacted me. So if you have any specific requests or areas you would like me to start with I’m definitely open to suggestions, otherwise I’ll just pick some random point in time and share the story and see where it takes me.

Husband

Kate said...

Hello Husband,

I'm glad to see you're blogging, too.

What is PFD? I'm missing something.

Husband said...

Kate,

Thanks for stopping by! PFD - Pelvic Floor Dysfunction or Pelvic Floor Disorder. Basically the muscles in the pelvis are not doing what they should causing all sorts of problems.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm from Costa Rica.
Your blog is really sweet... every time i read it, i think of my husbad who has been so patient to me. I have vaginismus... and sex has not been what we were expecting 10month ago, when we were just about to get married.
So understad what you are going through.

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm from Costa Rica.
Your blog is really sweet... every time i read it, i think of my husbad who has been so patient to me. I have vaginismus... and sex has not been what we were expecting 10month ago, when we were just about to get married.
So understad what you are going through.